What is the Community Arts Academy?
- CAA was established to offer daily, structured and educational arts-based after-school activities in a safe and controlled environment.
- Music, dance, art, and drama activities will draw from many traditions, thereby promoting understanding among diverse cultures and different age groups.
- There are opportunities to create and participate in performances for nursing homes and other venues throughout the community.
- The Community Arts Academy is a New York State registered after-school program.
- CAA operates five days per week according to the Rochester City School District calendar.
- CAA runs from the time of school dismissal until 6:00pm.
Who may attend the Community Arts Academy?
- Boys and girls in grades K-6 who are interested in the creative arts.
Who runs the Community Arts Academy?
- A Program Director assisted by teacher(s) and certified aides experienced in working with elementary-aged children.
- Staff trained in child development, cooperative activities and understanding child abuse.
- Guest Artist committed to cultural and age diversity and experienced in providing enrichment activities.
- A Steer Committee made up of parents, community members, and parish members.
Is financial assistance available?
- CAA has a contract with the Department of Social Services. Speak to your advisor to see if you qualify for assistance.
Where is the Community Arts Academy located?
- CAA meets in the lower level of the Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word, at the corner of East Avenue and Goodman Street, across from the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
- This licensed, safe, and accessible space houses bright, spacious class areas, an outdoor play area, a large kitchen, and a fully-equipped stage.
- Our convenient location near the Memorial Art Gallery, RMSC, the Planetarium, and The George Eastman House enable us to take full advantage of these cultural resources.
What is the daily schedule?
- Children arrive, use restroom, wash hands, enjoy snack.
- Choice of supervised activities and/or homework
- Scheduled activities:
- Clean-up, free choice while waiting for pick-up
Is transportation available?
- Parents can arrange bus transportation to after-school programs through the Rochester City School District by calling Ellen Cicero (585)336-4000.
- Parent or authorized person must pick up child by 6:00pm.